Monday, January 31, 2011

Back in the nest

Well the wedding day has been and gone, the bags are well and truly unpacked from the honeymoon, the whirl of Christmas has passed and January has been a struggle to catch up with the piles of things needing go be attended too. The nest is now permanently filled with two and all the extra work that entails. 

I will post something more up about the wedding later, when my head is calmer and I have a lazy sunday afternoon to just gaze at all the photos and work out which ones are actually my favourites and capture the essence of the day the most. I don't want to just pencil something up in a rush but I don't want to neglect everything else in the process.  So in the meantime I've been lapse in my daring bakers challenges, missed a few months with the wedding and being away but I managed to just sneak into the January Baking challenge so I'll share my efforts with you here. 

This cake was a challenge, the first attempt at the patterned Jaconde sponge was a mess. A misread of the recipe to blame, instead of 3 egg whites and 3 eggs I just used used 3 eggs splitting the yolks and whites and put the odd consistency down to the fact I was making mine a nut free version without the almond meal.  Second time round though it worked fine. 

Whilst splitting all these eggs I found a rare one - an egg with no yolk… i wonder if anyone else has seen something like that before. 

By the time I came to fillings I had run out of eggs due to the earlier errors so I ad-libbed with a caramel base and the leftover yolks made a custard. I also made a lovely apricot jelly salpicon which turned out well, some when into the middle and some little shapes were also cut from it to decorate the tops.  I had issues with my caramel, forgot to put down wax paper so it glued itself to the plate and I had to wrestle it off without damaging the cake, a delicate blowtorch and yanking operation later they were extracted but there was some damage to the sponge so they were prone to springing a leak when the custard came in - the custard also refused to set for some reason so I lost all the intended layering effect inside but it was a good learning experience and I feel more confident that next time I'll do it better.

The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert.


  1. Wow, your zig-zags are gorgeous!!! Beautiful results especially with all your creative garnishes. Since my kitchen was such a disaster area after this challenge, I doubt I'd ever make this again...I'm impressed that you're considering it :)

  2. I agree with you that it is always a learning experience. It doesn't even look like you had any problems , it looks wonderful! Love the Joconde patterns!

  3. I loved the striped joconde--I think it looks very dashing, somehow. Caramel and apricot sounds like a very tasty filling, but I have never heard of or seen a yolk-less egg. And congratulations on your wedding--I can't wait to see some pictures.